Sunday, November 22, 2015

Cathedral of St. John the Divine

I thought Sunday would be fitting for today's post on New York City. On our hop-on/hop-off bus tour, we saw the Cathedral of St. John the Divine several times, and had the privilege of viewing the inside for a brief time. The New York City Pass also offers a tour of the cathedral, but we couldn't find the time to return a third time, though I really, truly wish we had! This is hands down one of the most incredible places I have ever seen. The immense detail in stone work, stained glass, the sheer grandeur (the Statue of Liberty could fit inside!!) is truly awe inspiring. As crazy as it sounds, this church literally made me weep from its beauty! Take the time to visit, take the time to take a tour, and learn more about its history, architecture, and even famous events. When we visited, the cathedral had just held a celebration for winter solstice so the church was beautiful adorned for that, but seeing the Cathedral of St. John the Divine would be a treat anytime of year! I hope you'll enjoy this look at the outside architecture and a peek of the inside.




The outside stonework is AMAZING!!
Take a look at the bible scriptures carved in the stone around the doors!

We were rushed so I didn't get great photos of the inside, 
but take a look at the ceiling height and the amazing stained glass!

 Origami Dove Christmas Tree and my sweet Momma

Peace Fountain


If you are interested in more information on New York City you can contact me here to book your own Big Apple vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment