Tuesday, November 17, 2015

9/11 Memorial

The 9/11 Memorial is a place that truly stands out to me when remembering our trip to New York City. It is at the top of the list when someone asks me what some “must see” places are, and it’s truly a life changing place to visit. It’s a place to find solace, remember lives lost, reflect on our part in this world, how collectively we can make a difference, and a place to celebrate all that our nation and the city of New York has overcome. I don’t have a lot of words for this place on our itinerary other than, just go. Visit there. Make the time to go. You won’t regret it. You’ll walk away feeling so grateful for this life, this country. I’ll let the photos do the talking along with a tidbit I shared on Instagram on 9/11/2014 (the year following our visit) about our visit to the memorial.


There are 2,983 names inscribed at the 9/11 Memorial, men, women, and children who died on September 11, 2001 and on February 26, 1993, but one in particular stood out to me that day. I don't know if it was the rose, the way the sun shone on his name, or a combination of both. We didn't know it while we were there, but the roses are placed on the names on their birthdays. I'll wish him a happy day in Heaven come December 19th, but today I'll just remember him. With 9/11 approaching I've felt more & more called to find out more about Peter L. Freund. He was 45 years old when he passed away, and a lieutenant for Engine Company 55 in Little Italy. His wife's name was Robin, and was his high school sweetheart. They had 4 children. Peter also loved astronomy. I find it incredible that the biggest star in the sky took me right to his name that day. For every one of those 2,983 names on the memorial, there are family members & friends still longing for their loved ones, remember them today when you remember 9/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment