Tuesday, August 9, 2016

SPI Bird Watching

Hello again! It has been awhile. I took a much unexpected hiatus last week. My dear, sweet father-in-law passed away suddenly, so of course everything took a back burner to family, as it should be. I'm settling back in at home and work while my husband is away staying with his mom to hopefully ease her heart a bit. In the meantime, I'm taking care of things on the home front, and taking a little time to catch up on things here and there. High on my list is picking up on the fun journey around South Padre Island where I left things a couple of weeks ago.


Today, I want to share our time at the South Padre Island Birding and Nature Center. During our stay on the island, SPI was deemed the "bird watching capital of the world" at that very moment. The weather, the winds all contributed to birds migratory patterns at the time making South Padre Island the prime spot for bird watching at that moment in time. We'd had the pleasure of seeing birds from our condo, including the friendliest of warblers just outside our door. But nothing could compare to the amount, in numbers and species variety, we would see at the birding center.
Though Google says most people spend 30 minutes here, we were hear at least an hour or two strolling along the boardwalk watching the birds, fish, and even alligator. There is no telling how many species of birds we saw in our short visit, but each was as fascinating as the next. We caught glimpses of several ducks, Roseate Spoonbills, Painted Buntings, orioles, hummingbirds, sandpipers, Great Egrets, Little Blue Heron, Tricolored Heron, and so many others.
I wouldn't say that we are ordinarily into birds, but this was a spot not to be missed. It is the perfect spot to get away from the sometimes busy beach, and relax among nature.

If you are interested in more ideas for things to do on South Padre Island you can contact me here to book your own beach vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment